Phimosis need not be always a major cause for concern. But, Phimosis that develops symptoms like redness, swelling, irritation or difficulty in urinating requires suitable remedy is definitely required. Remedy usually involves treatment to relieve the tight foreskin from an underlying cause. Best remedy for Phimosis is to stop trying to treat the foreskin one’s self and see a specialist for best phimosis treatment in Chennai. Specialist in penis problems can check whether the Phimosis is natural or acquired, and whether pulling back the foreskin could lead to paraphimosis. The need for remedy is based on age, the severity of the problem and what is causing it. Any remedy should aim towards ability to maintain penile hygiene, urinate without any difficulties or pain and to ensure normal sexual functions.
Best remedy for Phimosis starts with diagnosis
A full history on previous penis infection or injuries, the impact of Phimosis symptoms on urination and sexual activity are taken. A physical examination will include checking the penis for signs of inflammation and foreskin retraction. A swab test and urine tests to check for local and urine infections will be needed. Adults presenting with a tight foreskin may be given blood and urine tests to check their blood sugar levels as Phimosis is a risk factor for type 2 diabetes. The diagnosis is arrived at Phimosis when there is inability to expose the glans, which is the terminal part of the penis, because of the tightness of the covering foreskin. Phimosis is classified in 5 different degrees as:
- Grade 1- Full retraction but tight behind glans
- Grade 2- Partial exposure of glans
- Grade 3- Partial retraction with meatus (opening) just visible
- Grade 4- Slight retraction but neither meatus nor glans visible
- Grade 5- Absolutely no retraction
Is good penis hygiene the best remedy for Phimosis?
To avoid Phimosis and other conditions of the foreskin, practicing good penis hygiene is important. Steps to maintain good penis hygiene include:
- Regular washing under the foreskin by pulling it back and gently rinsing it with mild soap and water every time during bath can prevent collection of urine, dirt, bacteria and other substances that can cause smegma or fungal infections.
- The entire penis, including the tip, shaft, base and scrotum should be always cleaned.
- Underwear that is loose, breathable and does not allow excessive moisture build up under the foreskin should be worn.
- To help prevent bacterial or fungal infections that may cause Phimosis, pubic hair can be trimmed from time to time.
However, penis hygiene can be improved only if the foreskin is retractable enough to loosen the foreskin. By pulling it back gently when bathing or urinating, cleaning should be enough to keep the penis from any hygiene-related complications.
Is foreskin stretching the best remedy for phimosis?
If one prefers to wait and watch before considering an intervention at the best circumcision clinic in Chennai, the specialist will suggest stretching exercises for the foreskin. The foreskin is normally looser while in a warm bath because of the bath water. So, trying to retract the foreskin can be possible without discomfort, as well as to try attempting several times. The following are to be kept in mind before trying to stretch the foreskin:
- Pulling the foreskin back should be gentle and not too hard.
- If it starts to hurt or pain, stop pulling.
- A topical steroid cream recommended for foreskin stretching can be used to help massage and soften the foreskin to make it easier to retract. Combining stretching in the bath with the steroid cream can help in fully retracting the foreskin sooner.
- To safely stretch the foreskin back in place is as important as retracting it.
These steps have to be repeated two to four times a day until the foreskin can be retracted without any pain or discomfort. The time taken to get at this can be anywhere from four to eight weeks. If the foreskin doesn’t seem to loosen after a few days, don’t force it. If the cream and stretching does not help within four to eight weeks, do not wait for too long to get further help. Immediate medical help is needed in case of painful swelling, difficulty peeing or the foreskin getting stuck.
Warning instructions while trying to stretch the foreskin as remedy for Phimosis includes risk for paraphimosis, chances of Phimosis to recur and other trauma, adhesion and scar tissue formation as complications. While trying to stretch the foreskin, if it gets stuck behind the head of the penis (paraphimosis) and cannot be positioned back in place, surgery will be needed in order to release the tight skin and restore normal circulation of blood to the head of the penis. In some adult cases of phimosis, stretching the foreskin will not work. The drawbacks of stretching is that it may take a while before progress is seen. The stretching practice needs to be done manually and consistently every day, preferably in the warm shower, while taking bath.
Is Laser or stapler circumcision the best remedy for Phimosis?
Phimosis only affects uncircumcised males. So, yes, Laser circumcision surgery in Chennai could be the best remedy for adults if the foreskin remains too tight even after treatments or in case of repeated infections or conditions like balanitis, which is associated only with men having foreskin. When foreskin becomes tight or stuck to the head of the penis over the years as a result of injury, scar tissue or inflammations, it causes secondary Phimosis, which typically requires surgery as the best remedy. Laser or stapler circumcision surgery in Chennai are minimally invasive procedures without the involvement of a big incision, bleeding, pain or discomfort. These are day care procedures performed either under general or local anaesthesia, requiring only about 15 to 20 minutes for the circumcision with minimal risk of infection and complications. The patient can go home in 3 to 4 hours after completion of the procedure.