Circumcision is one of the most frequently performed procedures by urologists. The goal of medical circumcision is to expose the glans sufficient to prevent phimosis or paraphimosis. Asepsis, adequate excision of outer and inner preputial skin layers, haemostasis, protection of the glans and urethra, and cosmetic appeal are the basic principles of any circumcision procedure. Conventional techniques of circumcision performed worldwide even by experienced surgeons has some drawbacks that makes medical circumcision a challenge. The ZSR circumcision in Chennai is a new method that uses a disposable stapler device to perform circumcision. The advantages of ZSR stapler circumcision has seen the potential for safe widespread use.
ZSR circumcision – stapler technique
ZSR circumcision is a simple stapling technique that removes the penile foreskin. The procedure uses the most efficient technique for treating foreskin conditions and achieving a uniform circumcision shape. Stapler circumcision, known also as the Anastomat was initially developed by ZSR biomedicals in China and is now being universally used.ZSR circumcision is a sophisticated technique that utilizes surgical stapler to cut and seal the edges of the foreskin, replacing the use of sutures in conventional circumcision. The cutting and sealing of the foreskin are done by the stapler devise, a quick and safe technique than the surgeon making the cut in the foreskin first and then suturing it in the traditional circumcision method. Circumcision staplers are disposable, sterile surgical instruments pre-loaded with non-bioabsorbable skin staples used for conducting circumcision. The device is designed to cut the foreskin and secure the edge with a circular row of staplers. A dome is placed beneath the foreskin over the glans penis and the exterior of the foreskin is attached to the circular stapler that cuts using a manual lever. A ring of small metal clips are left after the procedure, which fall of automatically within few days. The stitching and the cutting involved in ZSR circumcision are done by the device making the procedure rapid and painless. The science of circumcision has thus been advanced to the next level with the advent of disposable ZSR circumcision stapler that minimizes and rules out the risk of human error in circumcision. Latest technology of ZSR circumcision makes the procedure simple, accurate and safe in the removal of foreskin.
Procedure for ZSR stapler circumcision
The stapler circumcision procedure includes the following steps:
– Depending on the age and medical fitness of the male, ZSR circumcision is done either under local or general anaesthesia.
– The whole procedure that takes just around 30 minutes is performed in outpatient care.
– Once the anaesthesia is provided, the surgeon will retract the foreskin and place the dome.
– ZSR stapler is secured in the correct position of the penile foreskin.
– Foreskin is cut and stapled at the same time.
– Stapler pins are secured to the penile region, which will automatically fall off after 10-12 days.
– ZSR circumcision stapler and the safety dome are removed and the penis is checked for any active bleeding.
– No stitches are used and the bandage is then applied.
– The patient can return home the same day.
Simple steps involved in ZSR Circumcision makes it highly effective in circumcision for adults as compared to the traditional procedure. Cuts, stitches and bleeding which prolongs the recovery period after a traditional surgery can be avoided in ZSR circumcision. ZSR circumcision leaves nil chances of complications and discomfort with minimal blood loss in contrast to increased blood loss, higher chances of infections and complications after the traditional surgery of circumcision being common. Modern procedure of ZSR circumcision is definitely an effective choice over the old traditional methods.
Recovery after ZSR stapler circumcision
– The patient can return home the same day after the procedure.
– Initial 24 hours of minimum rest is necessary.
– Bandage is usually changed 48 hours after surgery.
– Minimal pain may be present after ZSR circumcision.
– Office work without physical activity is not restricted.
– It is suggested to avoid any sexual activity or masturbation until 3 weeks after stapler circumcision.
– Complete recovery after stapler circumcision is always within 3 weeks which is relatively much lesser than recovery time from traditional circumcision.
Benefits of ZSR stapler circumcision
ZSR stapler circumcision is associated with fewer complications than conventional circumcision, especially with respect to severe oedema and wound dehiscence. These benefits of stapler circumcision may be due to the following factors:
– Simple procedure
– Short operative time of only few minutes
– Minimal tissue damage
– Negligible pain
– Limited volume of blood loss
– Circular surgical blade of the stapler leaves uniform cut edges of the penile skin
– Same day discharge
– Short recovery time
– Early return to work
Advantages of ZSR stapler circumcision
Centuries-old practice of circumcision has been employed for cultural, religious and medical purposes that have evolved through the years. There are many advantages of stapler circumcision over traditional method and over the Shang Ring technique. The main advantage is that the foreskin that is cut completely with the stapler causes less pain after the procedure whereas, circumcision with other procedure can cause pain for 7 to 16 days until the sutures or ring is removed. This postoperative pain has been reported to be very severe during spontaneous or nocturnal erections. Next, stapler circumcision allows shorter healing time. In contrast, the Shang Rin technique removes the foreskin by necrosis, leading to a relatively ischemic edge of the penile skin. Further time after the ring removal is required for reconstruction of the local blood circulation necessary for wound healing. Lastly, stapler circumcision leads to less wound dehiscence because there is no suturing done around the wound when compared to the Shang Ring technique with a greater possibility of wound dehiscence which develops usually when spontaneous or nocturnal erection occurs. The ZSR stapler circumcision happens to be currently the latest technology that makes the entire procedure simple, accurate, safe and cosmetically aesthetic not only for conditions requiring medical circumcision but also at Sunnath operation hospital in Chennai.