Penis Health – Problems and possible treatments
Just like all other organs in the body, the penis is also one important organ in a man’s body. Unfortunately, not many treatments that as a grey area and some don’t even care to take enough and proper care of penis health. If a man is able to pee properly, have erections, and perform sex doesn’t necessarily mean that all is well with it. Penis too needs a regular check-up and care to keep your body in good health.
Penis health is usually affected by the following conditions:
- Mental issues such as stress, depression due to relationship problems, or low self-esteem.
- Medical conditions such as a disease or problem related to any of the internal parts of the penis
- Side effects of medicines taken to treat other medical conditions.
What are the most common penis health problems seen by men?
- Erectile Dysfunction. The problem of having or sustaining an erection to perform penetrative sex.
- Premature Ejaculation. Ejaculating in less than a minute or two before or just after penetrative sex.
- Ejaculation Problems. This includes ejaculation or retrograde ejaculation. In the former case, there is no ejaculation at all even after giving required stimulation to the penis. Retrograde ejaculation is a condition where the semen retrogrades into the bladder.
- Decreased libido or sex drive. A number of factors can cause a man to lose interest in sex.
- Sexually Transmitted Infections. Having unprotected sex with a new or unfamiliar partner can increase the chances of contracting STDs or STIs such as HIV, Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Syphilis, Genital Herpes, Warts. Some of these can be life-threatening if not treated at the right times.
- Yeast Infection. Yeast infection causes inflammation of the head of the penis, balanitis; reddish rashes, white patches that itch, etc.
- Peyronie’s disease. A long term condition that causes the penis to bend resulting in painful erections.
- Penile Fracture. Though a hard penis doesn’t have a bone, it can break when erect but handled roughly during the act of sexual intercourse. This has to be treated by a good sexologist on an emergency basis.
- Priapism. A constant pain during erection that isn’t caused by sexual stimulation or arousal.
- Phimosis. A condition when the skin on the penis forehead cannot be retracted resulting in painful urination and erections.
- Paraphimosis. This is an opposite condition of Phimosis where the retracted skin is unable to return to its normal position onto the head of the penis. This can obstruct the blood flow to the head of the penis and result in swelling.
- Penile Cancer. Typically it starts in the skin folds on the foreskin as a blister or wart-like growth.
What are the treatment options available for penis health problems?
Treatment for penile health problems depends on the diagnosis and the causes of the issue.
- Erectile Dysfunction Treatment and Low libido issues. No erections or lowered number of erections can be due to mental, physical conditions or due to the medicines that are being used to treat other conditions.
Stress in personal relationships or at work or due to any issue in life can take a toll on your overall health including sexual health. If you are stressed for any reason or even depressed, you will need a good therapist for counseling and you should also be mindful of things going around you and handle them appropriately.
Physical injury or any other surgical treatment such as removal of the prostate (to treat prostate cancer) can result in erectile dysfunction. In such cases, there is barely anything any doctor will be able to do.
If you are under medication and you are lacking erections as a side effect of it, contact your doctor to report the problem. Your prescription may be changed to make your sexual health better.
- Premature Ejaculation or Ejaculation issues. Similar to Erectile Dysfunction, PE and Ejaculation issues can be psychological or clinical. Sexual performance anxiety can often result in premature ejaculation if you are having sex with a new partner or if you are doing it for the first time etc.
PE is classified as lifelong PE or acquired. Lifelong premature ejaculation is a case when you had the problem of quickly ejaculating from the beginning. Acquired PE can be treated with medicines and counseling.
- Sexually Transmitted Infections. If you are having sex with an unfamiliar person or with someone who is not your regular partner, make sure you use protection and you don’t get overly involved in the act.
One small act of negligence can cost your life. Apart from life-threatening HIV, there are several other diseases that don’t really have any treatment available so far, such as Herpes. You can either contract the infection from your partner or you may pass it on when you have unprotected sex. This way, you will be a spreader of diseases to healthy individuals, which you really don’t want to become.
- Yeast Infection, Peyronie’s disease, Penile Fracture. When you have any of these problems, don’t delay contacting a good sexologist near you or a sexologist recommended by your physician. Not keeping the penis clean and letting the smudge get to accumulate on the head and under the skin can lead to a lot of problems other than emitting a foul smell from the penis.
It is great to have great and memorable sex but when you want to wild, you have to make sure that you don’t bend your erect penis at will. An erect penis is filled with a lot of blood that makes it hard. In case of fracture, you should rush to your doctor immediately. Delay in treatment can cause permanent sexual and urinary problems.
- Phimosis and Paraphimosis. Caused due to tight foreskin on the penis. If you have problems with easy movement of the foreskin on the forehead/glans of the penis, you need to see a good sexologist as soon as you can. In some cases, gels or creams can help you lubricate the skin to facilitate easy movement but in some cases, circumcision of the foreskin may be a permanent solution.
Circumcision has other benefits apart from treating phimosis and Paraphimosis. As the glans of the penis is exposed all the time; it can result in loss of sensitivity and can help in performing sex for longer durations. Chances of smudge or dirt getting accumulated on the foreskin go down drastically due to the absence of the foreskin. This can protect you from several infections.
Just like your regular health check or as a part of it, you will also need to get tested and checked up for your sexual health. Problems in sex life can show up in your daily life and stress your relationship that in turn can affect other aspects of your life.